Hey guys!! This healthy, filling soup was seriously one of the easiest dishes I have cooked on Periscope! We were done in 35 minutes from start to finish. The key is in the prep. Have those veggies already diced and in the fridge crisper and weeknight dinners will be a snap!
Hope you love it as much as we do!
Turkey and White Bean Soup, with Spinach and Kale Print
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey (already browned and drained of fat)
- 1/2 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- ½ cup carrots, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- ½ cup celery, diced in ¼ inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced (decided this was needed after filming the video.)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15.8 ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup baby spinach (stems removed)
- 1 cup kale (stem removed)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown onions for 2 minutes, then add carrots, celery and garlic and cook until the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes). Once veggies are softened, add in the ground turkey and cook for 5 minutes until all the flavors are combined.
- Add the tomatoes (with liquid), and beans (drained). Stir to combine all ingredients and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the chicken broth and stir for about 2 minutes. (You can sub in veggie broth instead.)
- Add in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add spinach and kale and cook for about 2 minutes or until spinach and kale have wilted. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Stir in grated parmesan cheese and let cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Finish soup off with 1 teaspoon fresh parsley and remove from heat.
Watch my Periscope video to get a play by play cooking demo of this recipe.
Boom!! That’s it!!!!
Ladle soup into a bowl and garnish with fresh parsley, shaved hard parmesan and/or red pepper flakes if desired.