This has been a crazy week of working late! But I am not one to let it stop me from getting veggies on our table at every meal. Think you don’t have time to make a healthy veggie filled dinner. Think again! What’s in your fridge?
Check out this easy peasy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. Makes great leftovers for lunches the next day too!
Cheesy Broccoli, Mushroom and Brown Rice Skillet Print
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely diced (I didn’t have one so I used a shallot)
- 1/8 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1/8 cup celery, finely diced
- 1 pound cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (I used leftover chicken strips)
- 1 12/ cup cooked brown rice (I cook mine in 1 part chicken stock – 1 part water)
- 2 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces (adjusted this after i made the video)
- 1 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp Better Than Boullion
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté shallots (or onion), celery and carrots in two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.
- Once they are softened, add in the broccoli and cook on medium heat for two minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and cook for one minute.
- Add cooked brown rice to skillet and cook for 5 minutes (quinoa would be an awesome replacement here)
- Add in cooked diced chicken and cook for 2 minutes to warm
- Stir in a teaspoon of Better Than Bouillion
- Stir in cheeses
- Slowly stir in milk to combine the cheese
- Add salt and pepper, stir
Check out my Periscope video at the link below: